Bronchitis can be caused by both viral and bacterial infection. These infections are caused through inhalation of organisms. Bronchitis often starts off as a sore throat or a cold, which progresses down the Upper Respiratory Tract to the airways and turns into a cough.
If you suffer from asthma or allergic rhinitis (or sinusitis), or have a cold -you are prone to infection, due to the inflammation caused by allergic or infection, in the nasal cavity.
Bronchitis is inflammation of the bronchi; the air passages to the lungs. Bronchitis caused by viral infections, are more likely to cause persistent chest irritation and coughing.
The cough may be dry or productive, meaning that it produces phlegm. This can cause wheezing, and a tight feeling in the chest. Headache and fever may also occur.
Bronchitis usually requires rest and resolves within 3 weeks.
Bronchitis Treatment Options
- Bed rest is important
- Drink plenty of fluids but avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Keep hands and feet warm
- Avoid evening air
- Stay indoors after dark
- Steaming with hot water and covering your head with a towel helps tremendously
- Add: 1 teaspoon of Bettamed Cleanse & Recover 200ml, together with a tiny dot of Vicks Vaporub
- Gently inhale the steam for 10 minutes.
- This can be done every 2-3 hours
What this does:
- Calms inflamed airways
- Clears congested sinuses
- Helps clear phlegm from the airways